1987 Toyota Supra MA70 Targa TOP  

Drift_Dan
  • Drift_Dan
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 234,386
Post #1 post 9th April 2012 - 05:07 AM
Just picked up this, my latest project the other day, should keep me entertained untill I get my licence back

Engine: 7mge, factory 5 speed manual biggrin.gif

Exhaust: Stock soon to be 2.5 exhaust / extractors

Suspension: Stock soon to be coilovers

Wheels: Stock soon to be something with deep dish

Modifications: soon to come: heavy duty clutch / 4.09 lsd or a locker shocked.gif / pod filter / new plugs and leads / metal head gasket

Stereo Audio / Visual: Sony xplod headdeck with 2 X 12in subs in a custom box to fit the boot

Estimated Power: 140 kw fingers crossed wink.gif

This post has been edited by Drift_Dan: Apr 9 2012, 05:19 AM
1987 Toyota Supra Ma70 Targa Top

Comments

• Boost Network 0
  • ElDaveo
    Post #2

Woo another Mk3! good base

OUTLANDER
    Post #3

YES! look forward to seeing your work

CactusSupreme
    Post #4

Fuck yeh, more Mk3s! Metal headgasket will make it bulletproof. With regular servicing of course. The 7M aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

If you want to run a locker, I would suggest an MX83 open center. Otherwise, the Grande LSD. The stock diffs are pretty average.. The gearboxes aren't much better. Other that that they're an awesome car.

Also, they look better without the wing. You can see it in my topics if you like.

1.5jz cressida
    Post #5

ive wanted/been looking for a project just like this

mark1414
    Post #6

Seems like ou have a lot of future modifications.

Drift_Dan
    Post #7

QUOTE (CactusSupreme @ Apr 10 2012, 12:21 AM) *
    Fuck yeh, more Mk3s! Metal headgasket will make it bulletproof. With regular servicing of course. The 7M aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

If you want to run a locker, I would suggest an MX83 open center. Otherwise, the Grande LSD. The stock diffs are pretty average.. The gearboxes aren't much better. Other that that they're an awesome car.

Also, they look better without the wing. You can see it in my topics if you like.

Thanks for the advice will defs use it and yea most likely gonna fuck the wing off and maybe get a simple duck tail soiler

Who dat
    Post #8

fuck yeah love the mk3! how much you pick it up for? smile.gif

aloshan
    Post #9

QUOTE (1.5jz cressida @ Apr 10 2012, 12:22 AM) *
    ive wanted/been looking for a project just like this

ah finally , another mk3

looks fairly clean , the ge's have problems pulling around 1500kg though.... thats why the ct26 was introduced wink.gif

make sure you make the gasket your priority before you do ANYTHING else and if ur going metal make sure you skim the head and deck the block so that it is ABSOLUTELY flat...half assing these engines will not turn out well. Otherwise just use an OEM head gasket and torque it down to correct specs

You might as well shim the oil pump as well if you are removing the entire engine and not just the head..

other then that , keep it clean , get rid of this sawblades and you'l have a cool 80's car smile.gif

1.5j cress , there are quite a few shells around now and 7mgte's + r154's are quite common these days. my mate picked up an mk3 with a BHG(7MGTE) for $500 just the other day. granted this doesnt happen all the time though.

if ur going for a 7m be prepared to spend LOTS of money and LOTS of time as the 1j and 2j shit all over the 7m's for parts availability. the end product is worth it though as nothing looks sexier and meaner then a low , wide and loud mk3 with a deep 3.0L tone.

Drift_Dan
    Post #10

QUOTE (Who dat @ Apr 10 2012, 08:25 AM) *
    fuck yeah love the mk3! how much you pick it up for? smile.gif

$1400

Drift_Dan
    Post #11

Would you guys recommend putting some head gasket additive stuff into the water just untill i get a metal head gasket?

CactusSupreme
    Post #12

QUOTE (Drift_Dan @ Apr 10 2012, 03:04 PM) *
    Would you guys recommend putting some head gasket additive stuff into the water just untill i get a metal head gasket?

I'd just over tighten it for now, the specs are on the Supra or Cressida forums. Off the top of my head it is about 85ft/lbs, that lasts a lot longer than you would think..

Turborx_7
    Post #13

after owning a mk3 turbo-a edition and mx83, i personally wouldnt bother with doing the headgaskit on a stock engine unless its stuffed or on its way out,

just let the old 7mge die, but dont kill it on purpose as they are still an ok engine. Save up and build a monster 7mgte in the shed smile.gif

Or if your that concerned put some arp head bolts in and tighten them up... that way you can keep them for the next engine.

Drift_Dan
    Post #14

Yea was planning to torque the bolts before i started driving it, may as well change the plugs and leads at the same time since they're such a bitch to get to with the intake the way it is.

CactusSupreme
    Post #15

QUOTE (Drift_Dan @ Apr 10 2012, 11:09 PM) *
    Yea was planning to torque the bolts before i started driving it, may as well change the plugs and leads at the same time since they're such a bitch to get to with the intake the way it is.

Oh yeh, the intake is shit. You can buy ones that come straight off the side rather than running over the top. I would suggest it if you're going to stick with the 7M.

Drift_Dan
    Post #16

How expensive??

j.are
    Post #17

i rebuild my 7mge at home with BHG and block machined and bored for under 1k with a mate. knowing you can buy a reconed 7mge for around 800 its not worth the work, but i enjoyed playing with it

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
    • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x