DeadSled
Post #2171

Fail.

CAM-327
Post #2172

The car not being on the road yet is fail! Hurry up tongue.gif

DeadSled
Post #2173

I'm going to have words with you about that. I have some cool as stuff to show you i got on ebay the other day.

lil_bobby_260
Post #2174

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Dec 1 2011, 08:59 PM) *
I'm going to have words with you about that. I have some cool as stuff to show you i got on ebay the other day.

Its funny how one of THE most useful tools in restoring cars, is eBay. I remember having to scour the trading post for parts, and make hundreds of phone calls. Now its just a matter of having a look through listings, and if you cant find what you need, find a seller who has a bunch of related items, and the chances are they have what you need anyway - or they know someone who does.

DeadSled
Post #2175

Exactly. I've got about $1000 worth of parts from america sitting in Florida at the moment, coming home on Wednesday with my Dad that is all the stuff that is rare even for american standards, stuff that you simply cannot find over here. Every bit of it is original parts in MINT condition.

Its the kind of stuff over here you'd pay $100 for one part, over there its like $15 - $20.

A lot of things though i've scored cheap because the seller didn't have a clue what it was and labeled it incorrectly. A pair of Guide headlights go for $175 - $300 over there, i got a pair for $10. A '41 Plymouth trunk handle i picked up for $15, later searched it and found that the tail light lense alone goes for that.

CAM-327
Post #2176

Yes, ebay is so good for things like this! Have made many purchases from ebay, and even the online stores. The days of the old 'swap meet' aren't as popular as people can browse for things in the comfort of their own home..

Bobby - I have a whole stack of parts awaiting to go onto the 202.. thumbsup.gif I'm getting right into this!

DeadSled
Post #2177

I think ebay is better than a swap because if you were to take parts to a swap the only people who will see them are the people who attend.. you get a much wider audience with ebay.

Only downside is its all the old guys who have the stuff and most of em from farms and that don't use computers.

lil_bobby_260
Post #2178

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Dec 1 2011, 09:21 PM) *
A lot of things though i've scored cheap because the seller didn't have a clue what it was and labeled it incorrectly. A pair of Guide headlights go for $175 - $300 over there, i got a pair for $10. A '41 Plymouth trunk handle i picked up for $15, later searched it and found that the tail light lense alone goes for that.

Now THIS is true. A bloke i live with recently bought a COMPLETE top to bottom ford flathead V8 for $300, because it wasnt listed as one. It was simply listed as a "V8 from a WW2 Blitz Truck". Anyone searching for ford, flathead, etc wouldnt have even seen it! Could only tell what it was from the pictures. Fluke.

QUOTE (CAM-327 @ Dec 1 2011, 09:21 PM) *
Yes, ebay is so good for things like this! Have made many purchases from ebay, and even the online stores. The days of the old 'swap meet' aren't as popular as people can browse for things in the comfort of their own home..

Bobby - I have a whole stack of parts awaiting to go onto the 202.. thumbsup.gif I'm getting right into this!

Haha gearing up for the showdown? Nice!

CAM-327
Post #2179

Exactly right bobby, i have been looking for a 4 barrel manifold for a 202 for the last few weeks, scouring every website. Typing in 202 manifold, holden 4 barrel etc. Typed in 'holden', and i am now watching on that came up in the first few pages. Pays to search every possible thing you can.

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #2180

@ Nick, will you be upgrading the brakes?

DeadSled
Post #2181

Jebby those are the upgraded brakes. Well on the front anyway. I am using '48 Ford juice brakes all round.

lil_bobby_260
Post #2182

QUOTE (CAM-327 @ Dec 1 2011, 09:21 PM) *

You might want to put in a bid haha
202 Supercharger Kit
This is actually a mate of mine (Rodney) selling it. Its a decent kit. He had it on his VH commodore which runs an aussie 4 speed, and a modified 9" diff with VT front brakes etc etc... Was a weapon. Yella terra head, huge cam... just runs a holley nowadays.

lil_bobby_260
Post #2183

His engine too - Genuine GTR Torana motor, rebuilt with a decent amount of work done to it :-)
Rodneys GTR Torana Motor

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #2184

QUOTE (DeadSled @ Dec 1 2011, 09:46 PM) *
Jebby those are the upgraded brakes. Well on the front anyway. I am using '48 Ford juice brakes all round.

Even though its not period correct i would be going with a disc brake front end, im a fan of stopping when i want to. I would have boxed the frame aswell (you may have done this). But thats just my opinion smile.gif

lil_bobby_260
Post #2185

QUOTE (75 KINGSWOOD @ Dec 1 2011, 11:02 PM) *
Even though its not period correct i would be going with a disc brake front end, im a fan of stopping when i want to. I would have boxed the frame aswell (you may have done this). But thats just my opinion smile.gif

Didnt old cadillacs and such have monstrous vented front drum brakes?

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #2186

QUOTE (lil_bobby_260 @ Dec 1 2011, 11:03 PM) *
Didnt old cadillacs and such have monstrous vented front drum brakes?

Wouldnt have a clue

racerphill
Post #2187

The '48 juice brakes are a perfectly adequate upgrade when you consider Nick's powerplant.

My Valiant has the slant six (which in it's day had more power than the Ford and Holden competitors) and runs stock drums at all four corners ...with NO BOOSTER!

Stops fine. You dont go flying up behind someone and slam on the brakes, but then again that's pretty stupid practice anyway.

I've had to perform a few "emergency braking maneuvers" and they haven't let me down yet. Of course if the car was gonna have some sort of hotted up, high horsepower engine, then a disc brake upgrade would be in order. The only reason I'd upgrade mine to discs is because drums are harder to work on!

In Nick's case, I'd be more concerned with the crash box gearbox. They are absolutely no fun whatsoever to drive!

racerphill
Post #2188

QUOTE (lil_bobby_260 @ Dec 1 2011, 10:46 PM) *
You might want to put in a bid haha
202 Supercharger Kit

I have one of these blowers in the shed. Was gonna fit it to my HJ, but now I have the Valiant and the '48, I wont be using it. thumbsup.gif

DeadSled
Post #2189

Jebby yes the chassis is boxed. As for what Phil said, hes right. The juice brakes are the most common upgrade for early Fords and there would be hundreds of thousands if not millions of guys running them.

Remember the type of car a '48 Ford is. Their huge, their heavy ect ect. Those brakes going into a Roadster that will weight barely 800kgs when its finished.

clutch-monkey
Post #2190

got an all new wiring loom for the mini, everything adapted to my mods too. pretty good mob to deal with but not the cheapest at $479 sad.gif am just over the whole fucking thing atm so this will get the ball rolling

no more holdens
Post #2191

QUOTE (lil_bobby_260 @ Dec 1 2011, 09:13 PM) *
I remember having to scour the trading post for parts, and make hundreds of phone calls. Now its just a matter of having a look through listings, and if you cant find what you need, find a seller who has a bunch of related items, and the chances are they have what you need anyway - or they know someone who does.

Ye old trading post, gee showing the age there !!!
Yeah thursday arvo/night bench racing over the latest edition of the trading post,long time ago

Egay is great for many long list items on the wanted list,but some shit is just selling for outta this world
An XB dash pad in perfect nick sold for over $500 , thats just stupid money
But the bargain for the week would have to be front bendix pads for the GQ , $45 , couldnt get them from anyone under double that so rather happy

Hoon
Post #2192

I'd just like to say...

...trying to find a old school car under a budget that still requires a little work so you can have a little fun is a pain in the freckle.

NOS440
Post #2193

youre looking in the wrong places.....

74QEE
Post #2194

Buy deadsleds Hj. I hear it just sits in a shed these days. Save it before it gets any worse. It needs a bit of work. And I'm sure you wouldn't pay more than $2000 for it.

racerphill
Post #2195

QUOTE (Hoon @ Dec 7 2011, 10:18 PM) *
I'd just like to say...

...trying to find a old school car under a budget that still requires a little work so you can have a little fun is a pain in the freckle.

I have a 75 HJ Premier for sale.

202, 350 Holley, extractors, trimatic, B&M shifter, American Racing Torque Thrust II rims, good tyres. Has minor rear end bingle which is being fixed soon.
Very good paint, but very small bubbles of rust here and there - nothing serious. No rust in floors.

Brakes require attention and needs a tune up

Have 3 seperate parties all saying they are very keen, but first in first served.

$4000

racerphill
Post #2196

QUOTE (74QEE @ Dec 7 2011, 11:10 PM) *
Buy deadsleds Hj. I hear it just sits in a shed these days. Save it before it gets any worse. It needs a bit of work. And I'm sure you wouldn't pay more than $2000 for it.

Shhhhhh, mine's better! thumbsup.gif

DeadSled
Post #2197

Not selling my HJ. Redoing it all next year, rust paint and interior. smile.gif

Also it occasionally gets driven!

74QEE
Post #2198

Oh shit yeah forgot about yours!!

Yeah buy Phills!! It's a sweet ride.

And nick. You won't be able to afford any of that if you keep skipping work and making trips to the colonel.

lil_bobby_260
Post #2199

QUOTE (no more holdens @ Dec 7 2011, 06:02 PM) *
Yeah thursday arvo/night bench racing over the latest edition of the trading post,long time ago

Egay is great for many long list items on the wanted list,but some shit is just selling for outta this world
But the bargain for the week would have to be front bendix pads for the GQ , $45 , couldnt get them from anyone under double that so rather happy

What...? 26? haha....
ANd youre right about prices getting crazy. Some parts are intentionally trickled into the market by sellers to keep prices high... But i remember buying an XB GS (fluted but no pins) bonnet for $80 about 3 years ago. Now i cant find one for less than $500... and theyre all in VICTORIA!!!

HSV
Post #2200

QUOTE (no more holdens @ Dec 7 2011, 06:02 PM) *

Worst thing is, these prices now show themselves at swap meets too, some of the prices are ridiculous.

I used to get the trading post at 2:30pm on a Wednesday, day before it came out, so I was onto all the good bargains biggrin.gif

NOS440
Post #2201

even swap meets these days are having less and less.....when i went to the chrysler expo, there was stuff all in the swap section...makes me worry that all the good second hand parts are drying up and getting thin on the ground

Hoon
Post #2202

QUOTE (racerphill @ Dec 7 2011, 10:15 PM) *
I have a 75 HJ Premier for sale.

6cyl biggrin.gif No thanks.

lil_bobby_260
Post #2203

QUOTE (Hoon @ Dec 8 2011, 12:37 PM) *
6cyl biggrin.gif No thanks.

6cyl is the new V8, bro.

no more holdens
Post #2204

QUOTE (lil_bobby_260 @ Dec 8 2011, 02:18 PM) *
6cyl is the new V8, bro.

Yep dats rite , nufin beta than mixing it wif the kids on the pushies
Only thing a 202 can beat , a malvern star pushie
Makes ya feel like a winner

74QEE
Post #2205

Your ignorance is on par with Deadshits.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 63 of 107
Jump to page
23 User(s) are reading this topic (23 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x