2010 Sprint Thread  

Page 2 of 10
Jump to page
HRD-GTR
Post #36

check the age of them, and make sure they're GG compound - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=11

R888s aren't the best semi around. I wasn't too impressed with them on my car, but they should be faster than KU36. You can get them pretty cheap brand new ex-Sydney (Taleb tyres & StGeorge tyres). My 225/45 & 235/45R17 were $1380 incl freight. I wanted 255/40 rears but there was none in stock when I needed them. It should be OK on the same width front and rear, and you get the advantage of being able to swap them around to maximise tyre life.

edit: still the same price on ebay...
St George Tyres ebay R888 235/45x17

Marlin
Post #37

QUOTE (trackattack @ Apr 14 2010, 08:39 AM) *
Is that compared to the KU36 or a proper semi slick ?
Cal's been running the KU's.

The RSR's have a metal sidewall slipper.

I'm comparing the RSR's to a KU36 mate. By all accounts, the KU36 is a much better tyre, and a much more realistic price.

trackattack
Post #38

OK fair enough,
I havent run them so cant make a personal comparison.
The Datto might have to try a set of RSR's when I wear out the current Toyo slicks.

scooby36
Post #39

thanks for all your advice fellas..
didnt think to check ebay!

cheggit: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-x-225-45-17-FALKE...=item439e8da835

how do falkens compare?

trackattack
Post #40

find out what compound they are before you buy them.

scooby36
Post #41

... looks like iv found a cheap pair of RSR's im afraid !

my wallet makes the final decision.. time to give federals a go.

260DET
Post #42

Just remember slicks put you into the race classes even if the car has rego plates on it, with the QR entries anyway. Not sure about Track Attack. Jeff?

trackattack
Post #43

At Track Attack We run 3 classes
Turbo
Atmo
Excel
tyres dont affect the turbo or atmo classes

Marlin
Post #44

That's why Harry's gone to slicks....... cheatin fawker wink.gif LOL

Evaded Motorsport
Post #45

Needs to be broken up into 4 6 and 8 tongue.gif bloody 1.6 ltrs against 6 ltrs isn't fair tongue.gif

HRD-GTR
Post #46

well if you're not cheating, you're not winning! tongue.gif

but I'm in a slicks category at the Hillclimb - Marque Sports, and I didn't like getting beat by an old Triumph GT6 last time! And they were the cheap!

ps. if you're still not winning, you're not cheatin' hard enough! wink.gif

260DET
Post #47

But the cheating is supposed to be subtle Harry, at least you could get a white marker and draw some squiggly lines around the 'tread' face tongue.gif

Anyway, I have some brand new Secret Weapon tyres so there smile.gif

HRD-GTR
Post #48

subtlety is not something I've ever been accussed of... lol besides, Ben only thinks its cheating because he hasn't got them yet tongue.gif

Nittos?

260DET
Post #49

Yeh, NT01's. That slack Craig Hornibrook needs to bring these in, from all reports they are a good thing. And not expensive, in the US anyway.

superdave
Post #50

QUOTE (Evaded Motorsport @ Apr 15 2010, 09:24 AM) *
Needs to be broken up into 4 6 and 8 tongue.gif bloody 1.6 ltrs against 6 ltrs isn't fair tongue.gif

Welcome to the world of motorsports. Nothing is stopping you from putting a 6L in too tongue.gif

QUOTE (HRD-GTR @ Apr 15 2010, 09:46 AM) *
subtlety is not something I've ever been accussed of... lol

I have to agree with that

Marlin
Post #51

The cheat spec you have Harry or the Mini things? (that I'm yet to find by the way!)

HRD-GTR
Post #52

is the climate controlled comfort while lining up for your run considered cheating? hehe

scooby36
Post #53

http://my105.com/classified.asp?id=14486 mini mini mini

Marlin
Post #54

Thanks Callum. Who was it told me they were 50 each!?!?! Grrrr.

And Harry, yes it's cheating, because you don't have sweat in your eyes making it hard to focus, not do you have to dry and clean your glasses due to the sweat running off your brow onto them.
tongue.gif

Marlin
Post #55

Ok so I ummm, I have ahhh, eye eye eye have ahhh I have some slicks coming from Melbourne on Monday.

Callum, do you want some? They're $100 each, and I'm getting them from a mate who runs a couple of Minis. Not the MY105 dude. Though he sounds cool too.
I'm freighting them on my TNT account which has good rates. You're welcome to share freight with me mate.
They do an average of 20 laps on them, and he assures me he'll pick and send good ones. He said many still have nipples on. I wanna tweak them smile.gif
0438 830 641

HRD-GTR
Post #56

$100ea! Now that is cheating!

Marlin
Post #57

Plus freight wink.gif tongue.gif

PRO050
Post #58

Slicks are the go, have fun.

Marlin
Post #59

Gotta do something to keep the big Falcon off my tail hey Paul wink.gif

scooby36
Post #60

hey ben! thanks heaps for the offer but i'll hold off this time..
great price though!

PRO050
Post #61

QUOTE (Marlin @ Apr 16 2010, 02:36 PM) *
Gotta do something to keep the big Falcon off my tail hey Paul wink.gif

I've still got some ways to go to hang with the forced induction guys. thumbsup.gif

Evaded Motorsport
Post #62

QUOTE (superdave @ Apr 15 2010, 01:44 PM) *
Welcome to the world of motorsports. Nothing is stopping you from putting a 6L in too tongue.gif

I have to agree with that

Been in it for a few years so know it all to well tongue.gif, I am happy with the 1.6ltr fairly easy to get 160hp at the engine out of them and weight is around the 850kg region. but before that happens it needs suspension. Current stuff is horrible.

Marlin
Post #63

A friend wants to offload his Toyota Trueno (1992?) if anyone wants one?

20 valve engine, fronts wheels drives. Good little car, very neat except the bonnet is dented/scratched. He bought it to turn it into a track car, and has a GOOD seat, harness etc, new KU36's and has been lightened.

Excellent little track car, full rego, he wants $3,500. A bargain I reckon.

PM me if you like and I'll put you in touch.

zuboo
Post #64

I was out testing at lakeside, and maybe stayed on the slicks to long before changing

260DET
Post #65

Testing, slicks, trailer queens, data logging I suppose. This makes me feel a lot better if I trail you blokes by only a few seconds now, taking the moral high ground, feeling pure and righteous tongue.gif

Marlin
Post #66

But Richard, does your car have a $400 wrecker engine running a standard turbo? No, didn't think so tongue.gif
Why hobble a great car with shit rubber? A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Put some rubber on it you tight arse biggrin.gif lol

Marlin
Post #67

QUOTE (zuboo @ Apr 19 2010, 11:19 PM) *
I was out testing at lakeside, and maybe stayed on the slicks to long before changing

That's a cracking brake lockup, well worthy of one of my own efforts biggrin.gif

Evaded Motorsport
Post #68

QUOTE (zuboo @ Apr 19 2010, 11:19 PM) *

Looks like one of Josh's efforts.

zuboo
Post #69

QUOTE (260DET @ Apr 20 2010, 09:18 AM) *
Testing, slicks, trailer queens, data logging I suppose. This makes me feel a lot better if I trail you blokes by only a few seconds now, taking the moral high ground, feeling pure and righteous tongue.gif

My cars not a trailer queen, joshes on the other hand ph34r.gif i had a chance to test these slicks and jumped at it, they are off the F3 cars, and did not work as well as i thought they might have, i ran a lots of 64s then i put my 4 year old proxy RA1s on and ran a 63 first lap out. So its disappointing that the slick are worse than the semi slicks i run, but they held up better when looking at wear.

As for taking the moral high ground, feeling pure and righteous tongue.gif I race a 1.3lt swift thats how i live day to day bowrofl.gif bowrofl.gif

trackattack
Post #70

I have been comparing a Toyo slick in the 888 compound with some RA1's and I have found my lap times are within 0.5 of a second
The slicks are lasting really well, much better than previous semi's that I have run.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 2 of 10
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
33 User(s) are reading this topic (33 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x