Hyundai Excel Racing Series - Track Attack - Evil things are about to happen to Hyundai Excels  

Page 41 of 53
Jump to page
trackattack
Post #1421

Part of the thinking behind the proposed changes is to allow for better handling cars that will be more suited to close circuit racing.
I am assuming that when we go circuit racing the Excels will be running around in little groups.
The more handling and grip that they have, then the less incidents there will be.

I am very conscious of the cost which is one of the reasons i have approached this as a set of components that can be built upon as new people gain experience and want to improve their cars.

Camber bolts
Caster bushes
Strut top
swaybars

The camber pins and caster bushes are already readily available from many sources.
The idea behind the top is to keep costs down by getting them from one supplier

From what I have seen we need a bit more camber and caster to make the cars corner better and improve the tyre wear.

Ralph,
I have lost the details on the springs from Dobsons, can you let me know what they are again as what your running might be just the ticket.

Cheers.

joe blo
Post #1422

im looking to buy one of the round shape exels. want to daily drive it and race it. looking to pay around 500 unregistered and 1000 with rego. if anyone has one to sell or knows of one please pm me and il come check it out and buy it. thanks

Mounfield Racing
Post #1423

Phil is right though, strut tops, plus strut and spring is hardly less than a coilover set

trackattack
Post #1424

I spoke to Dobsons.
Very helpful, sounds like their product might suit what we want.

I dont think the strut tops will be very expensive, just waiting on the final price and prototype before we can release full details.

Marlin
Post #1425

QUOTE (benno.h @ Jul 1 2010, 04:53 PM) *
Do you own one? Have you driven one in a competition environment?

The fact is they're much, much more fun to drive if they handle well. And some of Jeff's proposed changes may well help prolong tyre life as well, keeping costs down.

And some of us may not be interested in 'upgrading' to a 'faster' car at some indeterminate point in the future.

Do I own one? No.
Have I competetively driven one? No.
Have I driven enough different cars to know that a cheap, shit, terrible handling car can be a bag of fun? Yes!

Maybe some of you guys and I simply have differing philosophies.... Personally I would rather wrestle a good time out of a near stock Hyundai, rather than have it handle well, which will mean it VERY quickly feels terribly underpowered.

As for wanting to make them more predictable for future "close racing", again, a different aim than I would want personally.
A good shitter race series is all about swapping a little paint and having them a little loose under brakes and fast changes of direction.

trackattack
Post #1426

QUOTE (Marlin @ Jul 2 2010, 12:44 PM) *
As for wanting to make them more predictable for future "close racing", again, a different aim than I would want personally.
A good shitter race series is all about swapping a little paint and having them a little loose under brakes and fast changes of direction.

Ben,

Dont forget it an introductory category and that most of the drivers we currently have are new to motorsport and circuit racing.
One of the things that would stop me building a Gemini is the number of cars written off.

nodrog
Post #1427

Anyone know a a place I can take my car to for a bit of a test run????

Just finshed building the trailer and getting rego etc but now I want to give the car a bit of a run to see if everything is ok.

Any ideas, preferably ones that are LEGAL!!!!!!

slow bus
Post #1428

QUOTE (nodrog @ Jul 2 2010, 01:17 PM) *

Just finshed building the trailer and getting rego etc but now I want to give the car a bit of a run to see if everything is ok.

Just buy a day permit from QLD transport scoot around the roads observing the road rules of course

Marlin
Post #1429

QUOTE (trackattack @ Jul 2 2010, 12:56 PM) *
Ben,

Dont forget it an introductory category and that most of the drivers we currently have are new to motorsport and circuit racing.
One of the things that would stop me building a Gemini is the number of cars written off.

Exactly, and all the more reason to keep them nearer to standard and owing less! If it owes 500 its much easier to replace than one owing 2000 with a bent corner and two fancy struts ripped out of it.

I think you're basing the "poor handling" on the feel of a worn out set of shocks. We all know how long original factory shocks DON'T last, and these cars were NOT dangerous handlers when new, they just need "refreshing" to make them feel new again, not fancy sets of coil overs or sway bars to mask a set of worn out bushes.

GT_88
Post #1430

Hi All,

I hope these things get sorted before we get to the suspension stage of our cars.

Does anyone know of a Steel Supplier on the Northside who will supply us with some
Roll cage tubing?(building to CAMS specs)

Thanks,

GT

zuboo
Post #1431

QUOTE (nodrog @ Jul 2 2010, 01:17 PM) *

You dont live out bundamba way, theirs a guy i pass every day whos just got a few hyundais in the back yard and just finished building a car trailer.

nodrog
Post #1432

QUOTE (zuboo @ Jul 4 2010, 08:08 PM) *
You dont live out bundamba way, theirs a guy i pass every day whos just got a few hyundais in the back yard and just finished building a car trailer.

Nah. Not me.

Mounfield Racing
Post #1433

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COILOVERS-SELEX-Exc...=item19bd6c240d

cheaper than most spring/strut/camber pin combos

slow bus
Post #1434

I had a crack a the dirt sprint track at QR on the weekend, it was awesome. Jeff you realy need to get this off the ground next time.

The track is smototh and not dusty, no rocks, you would have no issues running a lowered car around

wasas
Post #1435

Hi Jeff,

I've been reading the new proposed rules for the 2011 drivers championship (The Excel Cup)
Some things I'd like to point out...
a few of us would like to keep the cars road legal (or as close to it as possible) as we dont own trailers or have a suitable tow car, thus need to drive it too/from the track in somewhat of a road legal setup. A welded in cage with welded side intrusion bars as far as I know is illegal, however bolt in side-bars are ok and can be removed for the drive home. do you have a major issue with this, or is it a cams requirement that EVERYTHING be welded in?

The battery relocation.
We moved ours for the first circuit race in march (??) this year, following the rules as read for topgun racing series. is this something we will hvae to return to stock?

certified cages
can paul do this? we'll get the 6pt fitted but can he sign it off?

Vehicle logbooks
how does one go about getting a car booked?

trackattack
Post #1436

- bolt in intrusion bars might be OK - will look further into this, my datsun is currently road reg and blue plated with removable intrusion bars.
- battery relocation may be permitted, I am waiting on QR to come back to me with more info
- you would need to talk to who built the cage about them signing it off
- log books will most likely be AASA as its their insurance and licensing that we use, you get them directly from them ($30 from memory)

wasas
Post #1437

what about getting the car CAMS booked? and what events were you thinking of running under cams for? assume morgan park?
would that mean full cams licences as well as aasa??

Anyway my main concern was the ability to make the car competitive and safe while still being able to take it on the road, and if we got pulled up to have it legal. we are currently plated for the seats, cage and another code (change of seating) so we *should* be able to make the proposed changes and not need another plate..... I just wanted you to keep this in mind as its also a cost reduction issue for us (no trailer/tow car)

trackattack
Post #1438

Nothing definite for CAMS events yet.
If you want to do CAMs circuit racing you will need a cams log book and cams circuit license.
The easiest way to go with cams is probably to comply with the rules for Improved Production.

X3man
Post #1439

You guys seem to be continually pushing for 2 seperate classes.
I've said it before...stock (rules as they are) and mod (spend away people).

X3man
Post #1440

Re above, is regarding the proposed suspension changes.
Or you could do as i do (as i'm not lucky enough to have a one make series in my state) and enter supersprints with everyone else in the generic classes. Where you spend as much or as little as you like. No one complains when you fit coilovers or move your battery and you get a real kick out of beating a 96' M3 BMW. My excel does owe me around $7k which is up there for an excel, but it has beat some much much more expensive cars. Like our last meeting at Wakefield Park
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?26/06/2010.WAKE.S1
96' M3, Lotus Exige, VR4 Turbo, 04' Supercharged Cooper S, S14 200sx Turbo, MX5...to name a couple of more expensive opposition we beat. So what am i saying, if you don't like the rules there are other options than to complain...

wasas
Post #1441

Whos planning to do circuit racing with the excels on the 18th at lakeside? anyone!!?

slow bus
Post #1442

Anyone keen to get into the series but my car $1700, bargin price have spent over $2500 and never been raced.

Big_Red_
Post #1443

QUOTE (wasas @ Jul 8 2010, 01:01 PM) *
Whos planning to do circuit racing with the excels on the 18th at lakeside? anyone!!?

Things are starting to roll along with our car now. If all goes to plan we will do the back-2-back July/August sprints. Pending times we will then look to move up.

benno.h
Post #1444

QUOTE (Big_Red_ @ Jul 8 2010, 04:47 PM) *
Things are starting to roll along with our car now. If all goes to plan we will do the back-2-back July/August sprints. Pending times we will then look to move up.

Bugger the times, just do it.

You should have seen us at our first circuit meet.

Big_Red_
Post #1445

More about getting to know the track / car. Only driven Lakeside once so the last thing I want to do is take out myself/anyone else by jumping in too early.

wasas
Post #1446

we drove QR without ever racing there before. Hell, I was the first car out for the handicap race on the international circuit without ever racing the track/circuit before.... its all in your head. if you can drive on the road without running into someone, you should be able to do it on a circuit.

wasas
Post #1447

Bumpty Bump!

So, whos coming this sunday??? :) I'm there...

PRO050
Post #1448

QUOTE (GT_88 @ Jul 4 2010, 07:46 PM) *
Hi All,

I hope these things get sorted before we get to the suspension stage of our cars.

Does anyone know of a Steel Supplier on the Northside who will supply us with some
Roll cage tubing?(building to CAMS specs)

Thanks,

GT

Extreme Motorsport's on the northside, carries what you need to meet cams spec.
Cheers Paul

Robby
Post #1449

whats on this sunday

Marlin
Post #1450

If you bring your S14 out, I'll DEFINATELY take my 32.

It's kinda like a "Top Gear" race meet I hear.

Mounfield Racing
Post #1451

QUOTE (Marlin @ Jul 12 2010, 04:33 PM) *
If you bring your S14 out, I'll DEFINATELY take my 32.

It's kinda like a "Top Gear" race meet I hear.

Back from Thailand now so after Rocky Street Sprints next week end I'd be keen to have the s14, s12 and a cpl excels out on track for a laugh.

trackattack
Post #1452

Lakeside sprints are on again next sunday the 25th July.

cheers Track Attack

benno.h
Post #1453

Well, Pork Hunt were there today, where the F where you guys?

Stevo ran a 67.7 today - we're now getting competitive, so look out.

Cmon guys, what is stopping you fronting up for circuit racing? I know there must be heaps of cars out there now that would comply with the technical regs for circuit racing, so what's stopping you?

And if you haven't even made it to the sprints yet, sack up and do it. Stop pissfarting about waiting for the last element to fall into place and get out there and put down some times, the rest will follow.

Mounfield Racing
Post #1454

QUOTE (benno.h @ Jul 18 2010, 07:40 PM) *
Well, Pork Hunt were there today, where the F where you guys?

Stevo ran a 67.7 today - we're now getting competitive, so look out.

Cmon guys, what is stopping you fronting up for circuit racing? I know there must be heaps of cars out there now that would comply with the technical regs for circuit racing, so what's stopping you?

And if you haven't even made it to the sprints yet, sack up and do it. Stop pissfarting about waiting for the last element to fall into place and get out there and put down some times, the rest will follow.

LOL Agree with your comments. But some of us actually enter events outside a 1 hr radius of home. We are committed to motor sport and also run most of the street sprints, drifts etc etc etc all over the country not just QR and Lakeside. Next weekend also clashes with Rockhampton Street Sprint Also just spent 2 weeks in ASIA part of which was researching Hyundai bits but where possible we will hit the local scene.

xfben
Post #1455

Only new to the forums went to Lakeside for a look on Sunday is there anywhere around that has results & pics of these events

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 41 of 53
Jump to page
64 User(s) are reading this topic (64 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x