"Shootin' The Breeze" - Old Skool Chat Thread  

Page 59 of 107
Jump to page
FATTIE
Post #2031

Now,,, your going to need a set of short steering arms and I'm pretty sure the steering rod from the bottom of the column to the power steer box is different or has a different coupler

and I dragged your pulley out of the "shed of a million spiders"

Monaro454
Post #2032

Hq's all have short steering arms.

FATTIE
Post #2033

U sure??

CAM-327
Post #2034

Yeah pretty sure Jay looked into this and all HQ and HJ, V8 or 6, all have the same size steering arms.

Edit: Sweeeet!

Monaro454
Post #2035

QUOTE (FATTIE @ Nov 9 2011, 09:16 PM) *
U sure??

Yep. Owned a few.

FATTIE
Post #2036

Cool, learn something new every day....

what about the steering coupler??

74QEE
Post #2037

Yes, Hq's and early Hj's all had the short steering arms, i did the research as im about to fit power steering to my Hq smile.gif

75 KINGSWOOD
Post #2038

QUOTE (74QEE @ Nov 10 2011, 07:50 AM) *
Yes, Hq's and early Hj's all had the short steering arms, i did the research as im about to fit power steering to my Hq smile.gif

its not just early HJ's mines a 75 model and had short arms

74QEE
Post #2039

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL..... i kinda just wanna drive my car, and putting the 10 bolt in is a pain in the ass and i cant be bothered, soooooooooooooooooooooooo do you think it possible to just bolt on the 10 bolt yoke onto the banjo diff and put the tailshaft etc?

I know the diff is pissweak but im a responsible adult and i wont be driving stupidly smile.gif

I could just go to the shed and measure it all up and make it work, but i have the a/c on and its such a lovely tempreture inside and id hate to leave the lovely climate in here,get changed and go get dirty.so someone better know if it works or not.

Monaro454
Post #2040

QUOTE (74QEE @ Nov 10 2011, 10:41 AM) *
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL..... i kinda just wanna drive my car, and putting the 10 bolt in is a pain in the ass and i cant be bothered, soooooooooooooooooooooooo do you think it possible to just bolt on the 10 bolt yoke onto the banjo diff and put the tailshaft etc?

I know the diff is pissweak but im a responsible adult and i wont be driving stupidly smile.gif

I could just go to the shed and measure it all up and make it work, but i have the a/c on and its such a lovely tempreture inside and id hate to leave the lovely climate in here,get changed and go get dirty.so someone better know if it works or not.

what the hell are you on about?

is it a T400? otherwise just chuck yer 6 banger tailshaft in and take it for a strap.

dead set.... not that much work to chuck the diff in. you can just leave the brakes on and bolt it in complete, connect the main brake line and gravity bleed them while you bolt all the trailing arms and shocks up.

not a massive job at all mate, get out of your air con and get sweaty

Be-Hating
Post #2041

So we recently bought a wb tonner, But then from having a good look i'm pretty sure it's a hx or hz as the lines on the cowl dont match up with the wb bonnet.

But annyyway, This is the actual question; A guy came and had a look at it and said to me that it has a styleside chassis instead of a tonner chassis.

Sooo, What's the difference between a styleside and tonner chassis??

Monaro454
Post #2042

QUOTE (Be-Hating @ Nov 10 2011, 06:02 PM) *
So we recently bought a wb tonner, But then from having a good look i'm pretty sure it's a hx or hz as the lines on the cowl dont match up with the wb bonnet.

But annyyway, This is the actual question; A guy came and had a look at it and said to me that it has a styleside chassis instead of a tonner chassis.

Sooo, What's the difference between a styleside and tonner chassis??

okay, here's the scoop:

all tonners except WB come out with HQ commercial front panels. that means your tonner isn't a WB, it may be anything from HQ-HZ this can be easily checked on your cowl tags.

a Tonner chassis has a strengthening plate just behind the cab, if it doesn't have that then it is highly likely that your tonner is actually a panel van that has been modded to look like a tonner, this was a popular modification on the late 80's/early 90's.

hope that helps

Be-Hating
Post #2043

QUOTE (Monaro454 @ Nov 10 2011, 06:49 PM) *
okay, here's the scoop:

all tonners except WB come out with HQ commercial front panels. that means your tonner isn't a WB, it may be anything from HQ-HZ this can be easily checked on your cowl tags.

a Tonner chassis has a strengthening plate just behind the cab, if it doesn't have that then it is highly likely that your tonner is actually a panel van that has been modded to look like a tonner, this was a popular modification on the late 80's/early 90's.

hope that helps

It does a bit, I'd obviously check the tags but they are with our mate( Fellow we bought it off ) cause he took them off to paint the cab.

I'll get a few pics, From what I can see it looks like the strengthening plate has been welded on by someone, not the factory welds.

FATTIE
Post #2044

QUOTE (Monaro454 @ Nov 10 2011, 06:49 PM) *
okay, here's the scoop:

hope that helps

there is so much wrong in this post and I know I'm right on this one as i just went and checked

My HZ tonner has the same cowl panel as my WB, it has the same line through the bonnet into the cowl
My HQ has a much softer cowl line and isnt the same as the HZ or the WB I'm currently rebuilding.

the popular mod of the 80's was to get a panel van and turn them into utes, not tonners, all it took was a ute turrent. All the parts could be easily purchased from Holden,,
I must have done 10 of these, never a panel van to a tonner though

but you are right about the chassis, the tonners have a mount behind the cab, the utes and panelvans share the same style chassis and don't have this plate

but here is some info from oldholden.com

Front Panels:

HQ and HQ – HZ Tonners have one style of front panels, HJ – HZ (except Tonners) have a second grouping and WB (including Tonners) have a third grouping. All front panels must belong to the same grouping or they will not line up.

HJ - WB Bonnets have a much higher ridge in the middle of them (compared to HQ’s) that is also narrower at the front and wider at the back than the HQ. WB bonnets will fit HJ – HZ (except tonners without the sedan front option)

There are 9 major styles of nosecones in the HQ – WB series. These are:

1. HQ single headlight.

2. HQ Premier twin headlight.

3. HQ Statesman twin headlight, twin grille.

4. HQ – HZ Tonner, same as HQ single headlight but with mounts for indicators between the headlights and the grille. These also have a pressed metal grille instead of a recessed plastic version.

5. HJ – HZ single headlight.

6. HJ – HZ Premier/Statesman twin headlight.

7. WB Ute/Van round headlight

8. WB Kingswood ute square headlight

9. WB Statesman/Caprice.

There are 8 different Radiator Support panels in the range. The HQ Premier and Statesman use the same radiator support panel. The HQ – HZ Tonners share their Radiator Support panel with the standard, single headlight HQ’s, but with the addition of a small, grometed, hole between the headlight and radiator for the indicator wire to go through.

HQ guards have the side mould line running into the nosecone. HJ – HZ have this line ending just behind the nosecone. WB guards are "cut off" much higher in front of the front wheel to allow for the different stone tray on these models that goes around the front corner of the car.

Monaro454
Post #2045

ooooookay..... so I'm wrong but you just proved me right?:

My HZ tonner has the same cowl panel as my WB, it has the same line through the bonnet into the cowl THIS HAS BEEN MODIFIED!! how do I know? read your information below:

My HQ has a much softer cowl line and isnt the same as the HZ or the WB I'm currently rebuilding. this is correct

the popular mod of the 80's was to get a panel van and turn them into utes, not tonners, all it took was a ute turrent. All the parts could be easily purchased from Holden,,

yes, true.... but they also did traybacks. you can usually tell because the tray is much shorter than normal tonners.

but you are right about the chassis, the tonners have a mount behind the cab, the utes and panelvans share the same style chassis and don't have this plate thanks

Front Panels:

HQ and HQ – HZ Tonners have one style of front panels, HJ – HZ (except Tonners) have a second grouping and WB (including Tonners) have a third grouping. All front panels must belong to the same grouping or they will not line up. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID YES??

no disrespect to you mate.... always happy to meet people with way more experience..... love to learn new info when I can.

FATTIE
Post #2046

We need to meet up and have a beer sometime, It could be an interesting conversation ahahahah.... (no I'm not asking you for a date)

racerphill
Post #2047

Latest on the Valiant... we changed the points and condenser and she was idling nicely, then all of a sudden dropped a cylinder.

Pulled the rocker cover off, and discovered a valve stuck open, so got the scope out and stuck it in the plug hole and found a piece of something under the valve.

Off with the head and found the problem. One of the earlier backfires had blown one of the booster tubes off of the new carby. One piece was still stuck in the carby butterflies, one piece was stuck under the valve and the rest was melted aluminium all through the carby and manifold!

Head is currently off getting fixed and I am picking up ANOTHER new carby today. Hopefully back on the road tomorrow.

DAMN!!!!!

VersionR
Post #2048

Test fit the front end on mine, cant paint for shit so I might leave it in undercoat til I can afford to get someone else to do it

HSV
Post #2049

Damn Phil you just aren't having any luck there man.

eh-buddy
Post #2050

QUOTE (Monaro454 @ Nov 10 2011, 09:51 PM) *
ooooookay..... so I'm wrong but you just proved me right?:

My HZ tonner has the same cowl panel as my WB, it has the same line through the bonnet into the cowl THIS HAS BEEN MODIFIED!! how do I know? read your information below:

My HQ has a much softer cowl line and isnt the same as the HZ or the WB I'm currently rebuilding. this is correct

yes, true.... but they also did traybacks. you can usually tell because the tray is much shorter than normal tonners.

but you are right about the chassis, the tonners have a mount behind the cab, the utes and panelvans share the same style chassis and don't have this plate thanks

Front Panels:

HQ and HQ – HZ Tonners have one style of front panels, HJ – HZ (except Tonners) have a second grouping and WB (including Tonners) have a third grouping. All front panels must belong to the same grouping or they will not line up. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID YES??

no disrespect to you mate.... always happy to meet people with way more experience..... love to learn new info when I can.

i thought i'd put my two cents in this what you said is correct to a point ...not all hz's had hq style front's some actualy came from factory with a twin headlight and gts guard combo and they had the hz cowl panels i know as i actualy own one it even had a gts dash std but strangely enough had a 202 4 speed instead off a 8

now heres a way to tell if the cab the guy has is a wb or not (apart from digging the bog out) the wb has windscreen washers fitted in the cowl instead off the hq/z style the floor is also slightely diferent but unless you know you know the diference its too hard to explain. as no one tonners had a body number fitted its pretty simple to swap cabs with just 6 bolts the cab is off.

now the difference in the chassis from ute/panel van to tonner is a fair bit more than just a plate welded behind the cab..its actualy 6"s shorter in the wheel base

NOS440
Post #2051

QUOTE (racerphill @ Nov 11 2011, 07:42 AM) *
Latest on the Valiant... we changed the points and condenser and she was idling nicely, then all of a sudden dropped a cylinder.

Pulled the rocker cover off, and discovered a valve stuck open, so got the scope out and stuck it in the plug hole and found a piece of something under the valve.

Off with the head and found the problem. One of the earlier backfires had blown one of the booster tubes off of the new carby. One piece was still stuck in the carby butterflies, one piece was stuck under the valve and the rest was melted aluminium all through the carby and manifold!

Head is currently off getting fixed and I am picking up ANOTHER new carby today. Hopefully back on the road tomorrow.

DAMN!!!!!

I know you have probably said somewhere here what type of val and what not, but, what motor is it? I have a / 6 head here that was reco'd and had done only 10000 klms if you are looking for one of them. I also have a 265 hemi complete motor suit rebuild as well.

clutch-monkey
Post #2052

so over bodywork..

trying to get the boot to fit.
the wreck is still tucked away behind the shed to use as reference. the hinges appear to be from a nissan, no wonder they don't fucking work.

just finished exams so might see about fitting the engine into the chassis soon

racerphill
Post #2053

QUOTE (HSV @ Nov 11 2011, 01:26 PM) *
Damn Phil you just aren't having any luck there man.

You are right there Ben! ...waiting for my head and gaskets to show up now. Was hoping to be finished and driving by now!
You going on the run tomorrow? I'll be going either way, as I have to meet a photography customer at Fernvale, but I'm hoping I'll be in the mighty Val!

QUOTE (NOS440 @ Nov 11 2011, 02:47 PM) *
I know you have probably said somewhere here what type of val and what not, but, what motor is it? I have a / 6 head here that was reco'd and had done only 10000 klms if you are looking for one of them. I also have a 265 hemi complete motor suit rebuild as well.

It's a '70 VF sedan with 225 slant. Wish I had've known about your recoed head before this! I have already had mine vac checked, tidied up and skimmed. Probably would be mobile again by now if I could have just picked yours up and put it on the engine! Just for interest sake, how much you want for yours?

lil_bobby_260
Post #2054

NOS440 how much you chasing for your 265 Hemi?
What is the engine code? (near the distributor mount but im sure you know this :-)

racerphill
Post #2055

Valiant is GO!

Got the head back about 3pm yesterday, and went on my car club run to Fernvale today.

She ain't running perfect, but she IS running. Didn't miss a beat today, just needs a good tune - feels slightly "doughy."

Pretty happy after all the drama, and I was lucky. There was no major damage. Just a quick tidy up of a couple of the valve seats, and a quick skim of the mounting surface.

Mr Zed
Post #2056

QUOTE (racerphill @ Nov 13 2011, 09:05 PM) *
Valiant is GO!

Got the head back about 3pm yesterday, and went on my car club run to Fernvale today.

She ain't running perfect, but she IS running. Didn't miss a beat today, just needs a good tune - feels slightly "doughy."

Pretty happy after all the drama, and I was lucky. There was no major damage. Just a quick tidy up of a couple of the valve seats, and a quick skim of the mounting surface.

just read your earlier posts....man that's no good hey. But before anymore big runs you might wanna make sure that "doughy" feel ain't because it's running really lean unsure.gif it'd be a shame to have to pull that head off again to change some holey pistons....

racerphill
Post #2057

Thanks mate.

74QEE
Post #2058

Woooohooooo she runs!! good work man!

NOS440
Post #2059

QUOTE (racerphill @ Nov 12 2011, 01:22 PM) *
It's a '70 VF sedan with 225 slant. Wish I had've known about your recoed head before this! I have already had mine vac checked, tidied up and skimmed. Probably would be mobile again by now if I could have just picked yours up and put it on the engine! Just for interest sake, how much you want for yours?

i dunno, ummmmmm 250?

QUOTE (lil_bobby_260 @ Nov 13 2011, 05:49 PM) *
NOS440 how much you chasing for your 265 Hemi?
What is the engine code? (near the distributor mount but im sure you know this :-)

ummmm 600? its a D34 ***** i think off the top of my head. will double check. also an s block

lil_bobby_260
Post #2060

D341, d343 or d344?

HSV
Post #2061

So anyone know any other Soda Blasters?

Only thing stopping me from getting the HR back is the bonnet.

Ash I tried your guy but the phone rings out all the time.

Would prefer someone southside but if need to go to northside will.

74QEE
Post #2062

Girlfriends old man is looking into getting his Mx5 (no hes not gay) blasted and was in contact with a southside/goldy mob, give us a couple of days and ill find out for ya.

wbtonner
Post #2063

QUOTE (HSV @ Nov 14 2011, 06:22 PM) *
So anyone know any other Soda Blasters?

Only thing stopping me from getting the HR back is the bonnet.

Ash I tried your guy but the phone rings out all the time.

Would prefer someone southside but if need to go to northside will.

When I used to work in Horizon Shores, there was a bloke there with an OLD F truck in brilliant nik that used to do it. For the life of me I can't remember which company he worked for. I remember he said he used to prefer doing cars to boats.

Will post it if I remember.

DeadSled
Post #2064

Metal Prep at Kingston / Loganlea are very good.

They have done both my chassis' for me and do a very good deal for cash, and excellent turn around time.

racerphill
Post #2065

Going to look at a couple of possible new projects later this week. If either one looks as good as it's meant to be, I will be putting everything else I've got up for sale.
HJ Premier, 40 Chev pickup project, 34 Chev Sedan project.
Plan is to get something that's an easy project and then stick with that and my Valiant (daily driver) and get rid of everything else. Just getting frustrated at lack of progress, and I cant see it changing in the near future.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 59 of 107
Jump to page
27 User(s) are reading this topic (27 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x