How Often Do P Plates Get There Demerit Points Resets In Qld?  

lilaznboi52
  • lilaznboi52
  • New User
  • Member No.: 205,843
Post #1 post 22nd July 2011 - 05:10 AM
Hi i just wanted to know how Often do P plates get there Demerit points resets in Queensland?
A mate told me that it resets when you upgrade your red P's to your Green P's is it true.
aaron001au
Post #2

on your p's you get your points back after a year in QLD ..

iamhappy46
Post #3

No, it is not true.

If you say lost 3 points on your red P's and then a few weeks after you got your green P's you loose say 4 points again, your fucked.

Manic 180
Post #4

^^^^ P plate colours are moot, 12 months from the date of the offense for p's and 36 for Opens

truffles
Post #5

QUOTE (Manic 180 @ Jul 22 2011, 11:52 PM) *
^^^^ P plate colours are moot, 12 months from the date of the offense for p's and 36 for Opens

This.

xxxxgold
Post #6

And while we are on the subject, drivers who have held their open licence for less than 12 months need to be extra careful. Many a new open licence holder has got a shock when they opened their mail to find the dreaded 'option to choose' letter when they thought they had 12 points to play with.

Until you have held your open licence for a continuous period of 12 months or more, if you accumulate 4 or more demerit points in a 12 month rolling period you will either cop a suspension or a period of good driving behaviour.

truffles
Post #7

QUOTE (xxxxgold @ Jul 23 2011, 10:04 AM) *
Until you have held your open licence for a continuous period of 12 months or more, if you accumulate 4 or more demerit points in a 12 month rolling period you will either cop a suspension or a period of good driving behaviour.

Enlightening, since it applies to me.

xxxxgold
Post #8

QUOTE (truffles @ Jul 23 2011, 10:08 AM) *
Enlightening, since it applies to me.

I know you are more than capable of conducting your own research but for the benefit of others, section 79(1)(b) of the Road Use Management - Driver Licensing Regulation states -

(1) This section applies

(snip)

....(i) 4 or more demerit points are recorded on a person's traffic history; and

(ii) the demerit points were allocated in a continuous 1 year period; and

(iii) during any part of the period the person held a learner, P1 type, P2 type or P type licence, or a driver licence granted outside Queensland that corresponds to a learner, P1 type, P2 type or P type licence, but did not hold an O type licence; and

(iv) the person holds a Queensland driver licence; or

(snip)

(3) The chief executive must give the person a written notice (a notice to choose).....

lil pimp
Post #9

hmmmm that sux!! i lost 4 points at the start of last year and 7 at the start of this year so im 11 points down on my open licence sad.gif
so have i got another 18mnths to 2 years to get even the 4 points back????? and 2.5 years to get my 7 points back???? thats guna piss me off
also does anyone no if this changes if you are paying your fines off though SPER????? is it still 3 years from time of the tickets issue date?????

any help would be great

THANX

xxxxgold
Post #10

QUOTE (lil pimp @ Jul 23 2011, 10:55 AM) *
hmmmm that sux!! i lost 4 points at the start of last year and 7 at the start of this year so im 11 points down on my open licence sad.gif
so have i got another 18mnths to 2 years to get even the 4 points back????? and 2.5 years to get my 7 points back???? thats guna piss me off
also does anyone no if this changes if you are paying your fines off though SPER????? is it still 3 years from time of the tickets issue date?????

any help would be great

THANX

Paying by installments through SPER makes no difference to the date on which the demerit points are applied.

You will sit on 11 points until the start of 2013 (assuming you don't accumulate any more) at which time the 4 point offence(s) will 'drop off' leaving you with 7 demerit points until the start of 2014.

astorey
Post #11

QUOTE (lil pimp @ Jul 23 2011, 10:55 AM) *

any help would be great

THANX

Yep, 3 years from issue date of the fine.

HP Plod
Post #12

And while we are on the subject, drivers who have held their open licence for less than 12 months need to be extra careful. Many a new open licence holder has got a shock when they opened their mail to find the dreaded 'option to choose' letter when they thought they had 12 points to play with.

correct, and this also includes those who are on international licences, if they accumulate 4 points in a 12 mointh period then they don't get the option, they get an automatic withdrawn authority. Same for interstate licence holders, your auhtority is also withdrawn.

So to recap.. accumulate 4 points in a 12 month period on OPEN licences and you are getting the GDB option letter, and 12 points over 3 years.

All points for P's back in 12 months from effective date of licence not infringement.

Points return for Open's 3 years from time of infringement, due to the many varying aspects of open licences i.e 1 year, 3 year and 5 year licences, so effective date is not considered.

Aahhhhhh its nice to have XXXXGold return to show that i'm not just pissing in pockets for the po-po.

Adam's Pit Stop
Post #13

just rang transport n thay say u get them back every 3 yrs...

Desu
Post #14

QUOTE (Adam's Pit Stop @ Jul 25 2011, 02:53 PM) *

I wouldn't trust someone at QT. The lady there told me I had to be over 25 to drive a turbo. head_wall.gif

wbtonner
Post #15

I think i'm interpreting this the wrong way. wink.gif
Do I have 12 points as soon as I go onto my opens if I haven't had any prior offences?
I've currently got 5 months till i've finished my provisional licence and I haven't accumulated any points as of yet, after those 5 months I can accumulate 11 without any worries?
Or is it saying that if you lose 3 points in say Febuary (when your still on your P's) and the following January you lose 2 more (when your on your opens) you lose your licence as its within a 12 month period?

QUOTE (Desu @ Jul 25 2011, 04:16 PM) *
I wouldn't trust someone at QT. The lady there told me I had to be over 25 to drive a turbo. head_wall.gif

Lol.

HP Plod
Post #16

QUOTE (wbtonner @ Jul 25 2011, 05:14 PM) *
I think i'm interpreting this the wrong way. wink.gif
Do I have 12 points as soon as I go onto my opens if I haven't had any prior offences?
I've currently got 5 months till i've finished my provisional licence and I haven't accumulated any points as of yet, after those 5 months I can accumulate 11 without any worries?
Or is it saying that if you lose 3 points in say Febuary (when your still on your P's) and the following January you lose 2 more (when your on your opens) you lose your licence as its within a 12 month period?

Lol.

what its saying is that when you obtain your open licence you are not able to accumulate 4 points in a continuous 12 month period, once you enter your opens you obtain the 12 point accumulation, and in your situation there is no skeleton in your closet to haunt you later.

iamhappy46
Post #17

QUOTE (Adam's Pit Stop @ Jul 25 2011, 02:53 PM) *

QT told me I was not allowed to drive a Twin Turbo V8 or a car with a 200+Kw V6 engine conversion on my P's... despite having held a full licence prior to the new laws coming in(full licence issued in 1998)

I would never trust anything QT or for that matter anything the NSW RTA ever said over the phone ever again(NSW RTA are the reason I ended up back on my P's)

This was the result of last times efforts sad.gif Note the man with the gun...

PS: My photography skills are epic

Adam's Pit Stop
Post #18

QUOTE (iamhappy46 @ Jul 25 2011, 09:19 PM) *
QT told me I was not allowed to drive a Twin Turbo V8 or a car with a 200+Kw V6 engine conversion on my P's... despite having held a full licence prior to the new laws coming in(full licence issued in 1998)

I would never trust anything QT or for that matter anything the NSW RTA ever said over the phone ever again(NSW RTA are the reason I ended up back on my P's)

oh well bud thats why i haven't all my points back n its bein over a year....

wbtonner
Post #19

QUOTE (iamhappy46 @ Jul 25 2011, 09:19 PM) *

What???

iamhappy46
Post #20

QUOTE (wbtonner @ Jul 25 2011, 09:32 PM) *
What???

Yeah, thats right... I am back on my P's after being issued with a Learners Licence in NSW. The RTA are so disorganised they could not organise a root in a brothel. I have 3 letters from the RTA now explaining how I got issued with a Learners Licence and why they could not issue me with either P's or a full licence to rectify the mistake BUT all three letters have different reasons.

I have a house in Queensland, the tenants(some good mates) let me use the house address so I could get my Qld licence sorted out while NSW spend the next 10 years working out why I got issued with a Learners Licence all the way back in December of 2006.

HP Plod
Post #21

QUOTE (iamhappy46 @ Jul 25 2011, 09:52 PM) *
Yeah, thats right... I am back on my P's after being issued with a Learners Licence in NSW. The RTA are so disorganised they could not organise a root in a brothel. I have 3 letters from the RTA now explaining how I got issued with a Learners Licence and why they could not issue me with either P's or a full licence to rectify the mistake BUT all three letters have different reasons.

I have a house in Queensland, the tenants(some good mates) let me use the house address so I could get my Qld licence sorted out while NSW spend the next 10 years working out why I got issued with a Learners Licence all the way back in December of 2006.

whilst the chances of you getting caught might be minimal depending on how you drive, obtaining a licence in another state is fraught with danger, as you may know, my 2cents worth here. Did you cancel your licence in NSW or is it still current? If still current, did you check the box "No" where they asked you if you held a licence in aniother state? if so you are comitting a fraudulent act here and I know QT should have checked and well I'm not here to pass judgement as i do not know their procedures, but if you get caught, you are facing some hefty fines and possible loss of licenc here. Depends on how deep the officer wants to dig.... me i like to make it to China so hope you don't have me pulling you over.

I do not condone obtaining licences this way to avoid losses in another state, be careful.

alex338
Post #22

so is everyone saying you cant accumulate 4 points IN THE FIRST 12 months on your opens, or just IN a 12 month period at any time during your opens?

astorey
Post #23

QUOTE (alex338 @ Jul 26 2011, 12:17 PM) *
so is everyone saying you cant accumulate 4 points IN THE FIRST 12 months on your opens, or just IN a 12 month period at any time during your opens?

wtf no-one is saying that.

iamhappy46
Post #24

QUOTE (HP Plod @ Jul 26 2011, 10:44 AM) *
whilst the chances of you getting caught might be minimal depending on how you drive, obtaining a licence in another state is fraught with danger, as you may know, my 2cents worth here. Did you cancel your licence in NSW or is it still current? If still current, did you check the box "No" where they asked you if you held a licence in aniother state? if so you are comitting a fraudulent act here and I know QT should have checked and well I'm not here to pass judgement as i do not know their procedures, but if you get caught, you are facing some hefty fines and possible loss of licenc here. Depends on how deep the officer wants to dig.... me i like to make it to China so hope you don't have me pulling you over.

I do not condone obtaining licences this way to avoid losses in another state, be careful.

I PM'ed you a few months ago regarding this(I also PM'ed XXXXGold and even ToTo about 2 years ago when we were trying to sort this all out) since it has just been a complete f*ck around by the RTA getting a solid answer

I handed in my NSW Learners and my Queensland Boat/Full licence, QT now know about the wrongly issued Learners Licence(even though were weirded out by it too when I had a full legit Qld Licence based on that date I applied for the boat licence on) so I am going through the procedures to get full licence in Queensland based on Qld Learners Licence, Queensland P plates and eventual full licence... then do a state transfer if NSW ever win State of Origin Series again.

Total shit fight with the RTA that could have been sorted out in April of 2007 by just letting me do a P's test and giving me a licence so I could drive unaccompanied!

wbtonner
Post #25

QUOTE (alex338 @ Jul 26 2011, 12:17 PM) *

This. I don't get it either. wink.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x