Page 1 of 3
Jump to page
SHEZ_S13
  • SHEZ_S13
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 184,424
Post #1 post 21st February 2010 - 10:06 PM
Hey Guys

This has been boggling my mind for a while (and i'm sure a few of you guys too)

before you attack me for being lazy and not looking for the thread previously i have numerous times and i am looking for specific laws here

in Queensland is it illegal to "Gut" the interior of your car?

if you are unsure of what i'm talking about :

<THIS IS NOT MY CAR>

to be specific it is in a 1991 Silvia s13 and i have removed the carpet, boot trim and rear seats.

i have found one site that says it is legal as long as you have Door Cards, Dash, No sharp objects.

maybe someone could shine some light on this? anybody have proof that it will not be a problem?

thanks in advance <SHEZ_S13>
senolsan
Post #2

i thought it was illegal because your car is registered as a 4 seater and now it can only have 2.

Not sure tho. I am interested in this topic too smile.gif

Sharpy
Post #3

No idea, but here is one i prepared earlier

SHEZ_S13
Post #4

hahaha, i saw yours at Harry's man with the strut brace in the rear, looks nice, ever had any piggy attention with that?

BlownBMW
Post #5

its legal aslong as u dont touch the dash, or front door trims, but removing the back seat requires mod plate, and to be registered as a two seater

joe blo
Post #6

you just need a mod plate for change of seating capacity. and any holes that go from the inside of the car to the outside need to be sealed. silicone is ok for that.

SHEZ_S13
Post #7

QUOTE (BlownBMW @ Feb 21 2010, 10:23 PM) *
its legal aslong as u dont touch the dash, or front door trims, but removing the back seat requires mod plate, and to be registered as a two seater

thanks man, il wrap the rear seats in some black leather i guess sad.gif

Sharpy
Post #8

Not ever.... yet... i suppose

been pulled over for a couple RBT's they saw it, said nothing.

AGI78-VP
Post #9

damn u duey i just started typing just that

SHEZ_S13
Post #10

QUOTE (joe blo @ Feb 21 2010, 10:24 PM) *
you just need a mod plate for change of seating capacity. and any holes that go from the inside of the car to the outside need to be sealed. silicone is ok for that.

would that include holes for wiring ect? or just holes that penetrate the whole way so you could see through to outside?

McGnarly
Post #11

when i done mine i was told it was legal as long as i left the seatbelts in, as that way i didnt have to have it modplated for lack of seats?

senolsan
Post #12

you mean speed holes right?

GTRVspec95
Post #13

A side note to this is you need to take out the seat belt clasp for the centre sash which is just bolted in to the body.

SHEZ_S13
Post #14

QUOTE (Sharpy @ Feb 21 2010, 10:25 PM) *
Not ever.... yet... i suppose

been pulled over for a couple RBT's they saw it, said nothing.

yeah, with it being a P plate ride i'm sure they will search my car meticulously; might just leave it gutted with the rear seats down or something

SHEZ_S13
Post #15

QUOTE (GTRVspec95 @ Feb 21 2010, 10:28 PM) *
A side note to this is you need to take out the seat belt clasp for the centre sash which is just bolted in to the body.

i can get mod plates done at work not sure if its legal as P Plater, but would that not mean the rego would have to change, then if in the rare case that i have to pick up more than one person it would be illegal to put the rear seats back in?

joe blo
Post #16

QUOTE (SHEZ_S13 @ Feb 21 2010, 10:26 PM) *
would that include holes for wiring ect? or just holes that penetrate the whole way so you could see through to outside?

not 100% sure on that. if its pretty tight it wouldnt be a problem i dont think. but if theres fair bit of a gap it would need to be run through a grommet.

if you remove the rear seats you need to remove the rear seatbelts.

GTRVspec95
Post #17

QUOTE (SHEZ_S13 @ Feb 21 2010, 10:32 PM) *
i can get mod plates done at work not sure if its legal as P Plater, but would that not mean the rego would have to change, then if in the rare case that i have to pick up more than one person it would be illegal to put the rear seats back in?

Correct

QLD transport need to be notified of this change and record it against the vehicle

Not to sure about the P plate legalities thou

SHEZ_S13
Post #18

QUOTE (joe blo @ Feb 21 2010, 10:35 PM) *
not 100% sure on that. if its pretty tight it wouldnt be a problem i dont think. but if theres fair bit of a gap it would need to be run through a grommet.

if you remove the rear seats you need to remove the rear seatbelts.

There's two rectangular holes in the rear quarters near the wheel arch that are a decent size, would that be a problem? could put my 6x9's in there and take out the parcel tray...

<not my car again.>

jish
Post #19

I'm currently in the process of gutting the shit out of my 4 door.

Bottom of back seat isn't willingly comming out!

joe blo
Post #20

i dont think that would be a problem. its where you can see from the inside to the outside that it needs to be sealed.

SHEZ_S13
Post #21

QUOTE (jish @ Feb 21 2010, 10:45 PM) *
I'm currently in the process of gutting the shit out of my 4 door.

Bottom of back seat isn't willingly comming out!

needs more chainsaw.

SHEZ_S13
Post #22

QUOTE (joe blo @ Feb 21 2010, 10:47 PM) *
i dont think that would be a problem. its where you can see from the inside to the outside that it needs to be sealed.

hsdance.gif that's good news then, does anyone know anywhere i could print off some legal bullshit to flash to the cops if they ask about this?

and thanks for contributing everyone

jish
Post #23

QUOTE (SHEZ_S13 @ Feb 21 2010, 10:49 PM) *
needs more chainsaw.

I started at night with only the garage light and no torch :@

Can't see where its hooked on to, not as easy as the S13 back seat!

clutch-monkey
Post #24

QUOTE (GTRVspec95 @ Feb 21 2010, 10:39 PM) *
Correct

QLD transport need to be notified of this change and record it against the vehicle

Not to sure about the P plate legalities thou

perfectly legal for P platers.

1970 ZC
Post #25

i have gutted the rear half of my 32 seats, seatbelts, sound deadening, trims just havent got around to mod plating it anyone no a rough price for mod plate and do u have to pay more for informing Queensland trasport of the changes?

GTRVspec95
Post #26

QUOTE (SHEZ_S13 @ Feb 21 2010, 10:51 PM) *
hsdance.gif that's good news then, does anyone know anywhere i could print off some legal bullshit to flash to the cops if they ask about this?

and thanks for contributing everyone

A highway patrol car pulled me over once and asked if I had it engineered I showed them my engineer papers; which I carried in the glove compartment and then they inspected my mod plate.

The mod plate is more important as it's specifically for your vehicle where as your papers could be for anything, however I carried it around to provide a bit of additional information to the police if they asked.

Why more people don't get their cars engineered is beyond me as you save yourself having to go to DOT who will do you for everything in the book which they know back to front. It will end up a hell of a lot more expensive as well compared to engineering your modifications.

joe blo
Post #27

QUOTE (1970 ZC @ Feb 21 2010, 11:11 PM) *
i have gutted the rear half of my 32 seats, seatbelts, sound deadening, trims just havent got around to mod plating it anyone no a rough price for mod plate and do u have to pay more for informing Queensland trasport of the changes?

i payed $120 for a dude to come to my house and do it. dunno what to do in regards to telling qld transport coz i got mine registered at the same time. the modplate guy submits a copy of the report/paprwork bit so i dunno if its done then or if you gotta go in and tell them also.

nferno
Post #28

Why do it? How much weight will you save? 10 kilo's?

I did it to my first S13, when i was carrying everything from the car into my garage i thought what was the point of that, it weighed nothing.

the_random_hero
Post #29

You can't just silicone the rear seat belt holes up, they need to be permanently filled (ie. bolt in and then welded).

mark1414
Post #30

QUOTE (nferno @ Feb 22 2010, 05:15 AM) *
Why do it? How much weight will you save? 10 kilo's?

I did it to my first S13, when i was carrying everything from the car into my garage i thought what was the point of that, it weighed nothing.

Yeah I was thinking this also. Is it worth the hassle for the little weight it saves?? I would rather keep my seats have the availability of seating 5 and not getting defected..

637-PSI
Post #31

QUOTE (mark1414 @ Feb 22 2010, 05:34 AM) *
Yeah I was thinking this also. Is it worth the hassle for the little weight it saves?? I would rather keep my seats have the availability of seating 5 and not getting defected..

Haha i first took my back seats out because i was sick of mates asking for a lift or to take them driving...... lol but seriously, if you strip the interior out properly (including sound deadener), it is surprising how much weight you do actually remove.

It is not hard to get mod plated, provided everything to do with the rear seats/seat belts are removed. and if your fuel filler or fuel system is in the boot compartment it must be completely sealed off from the cabin.

EX-AR-SIX
Post #32

I did it in my s13, gutted the passenger seat, back seat, took the sub/amp out, spare tyre and didnt even notice a difference! lol

jish
Post #33

The way I look at it with my 32 is that it's going to cost too much to get clean as I'd like.

So I'm going to strip everything that I don't need smile.gif

I'm just hoping it doesnt look too funny because it's a 4 door, but ohwell, we'll soon find out!

028NVD
Post #34

Stripped out my I'd cRx, removed all sound deadner, all plastics behind front seats all carpets, all air con, all stereo, half the dash removed, big rubber mat thing on inside of firewall, got to the point where you could see the engine through the firewall removed at least 100kg from the car and made a noticeable difference and never had a problem with the po po for it

TwinCam16
Post #35

It is perfectly legal for a p plater to have a mod plate.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 3
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
37 User(s) are reading this topic (37 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x