Gps Systems - Anyone recommend a decent one?  

Page 1 of 3
Jump to page
UNI4SX
  • UNI4SX
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 86,070
Post #1 post 20th November 2007 - 04:20 PM
Have just started a job that requires me to travel to certain different places and i pretty much suck at reading road maps in the directory just wondering if anyone knows a middle ranged decent one and whats a good brand to purchase

cheers
Excelix
Post #2

everyone has navman

Rookie ROX
Post #3

And everyone with a new Navman sucks.

TomTom or Garmin - The new Navman S series is full of software issues and buttons that are either too hard to reach or take forever to respond. If you want something basic, the Tomtom One (V3 or XL) are decent units, so is the Garmin Nuvi 250W. $399RRP for One V3, $499RRP for XL, should be able to find the 250W for $499 as well.

ROCK ON
R~R

PIG208
Post #4

Use the search function people

MYB16
Post #5

QUOTE(PIG208 @ Nov 20 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]1281646000[/snapback]

Use the search function people

Has there been a thread on this before?

headsense
Post #6

Personal preference Garmin or Tom Tom , have both .

I have Tom Tom One V2 , great little machine , just watch the dreaded RED X map card software corruption when using auto updates ( this reload is covered by local warranty )

Stick to the shipped version of Tom Tom Home and it will be good as gold . Use mine daily 5 days a week

the red krawler
Post #7

TomTom GO 710 here, fantastic.

UNI4SX
Post #8

yeah alot of people are recomending the tomtom to me

BozzA
Post #9

QUOTE(MYB16 @ Nov 20 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]1281646126[/snapback]

Has there been a thread on this before?

Plus its hard to search for "gps" when the minimum amount of letters for a search is 4, im interested in what are decent gps systems as well.

Mr.B
Post #10

QUOTE(BozzA @ Nov 20 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]1281646596[/snapback]

Plus its hard to search for "gps" when the minimum amount of letters for a search is 4, im interested in what are decent gps systems as well.

Use the wildcard character (*). Search gps* instead.

Twist
Post #11

Navman S50.

DB:57:SS
Post #12

I got a Tom Tom oneXL 2 weeks ago, All good so far.

Rookie ROX
Post #13

It really depends on what you want to pay and what features you want.

More expensive systems can offer bluetooth handsfree for your phone, MP3 players, picture viewers, video players, FM transmitters for the MP3 player function, text to speech (voice navigation includes street names, Turn Left on Smith St) and a whole range of other little applications.

I still stand that the best units on the market for general car navigation are TomTom and Garmin. If you want something for 4WDing, look at Magellan.

Hit up your local Dick Smith, they only carry the decent brands, and currently all navigators come with a one use 40c/litre off fuel card for up to 150L.

ROCK ON
R~R

93civicsi
Post #14

my mum dad and myself bought navmans and there shit biggrin.gif, nar serious they are they just freeze up and wont turn off or on and stays like that till it runs out of battries idk wat the problem is

s2krazy
Post #15

QUOTE(Twist @ Nov 20 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]1281646638[/snapback]

Navman S50.

Worst response EVER.

Let me tell youabout the S50....

Last Thursday I had a customer come in. He's been through 3 Navman S50's. None lasted longer than 3hrs..... All fucked up. 1 with hte menu and it kept resetting. and 2 with other software issues.

Now, fast forward 3 days to Sunday, I walk to my Nav cabinet, to see the S50 we have on display, still new, isn't working - just stuck on the "agree" disagree" screen. I hit agreed. Icon loads maps, Icon loads ST or SD stuff.... then.... nothing.... back to agree / disagree screen. Repeat this 6 times. Come to the conclusion the unit is fucked.

Today I had one returned from a customer. Also fucked. So I called up another store requesting a transfer of one from them to us. Oh low and behold, their demo model was also fucked after non use, and was sent back to Navman too. But they did have one STILL in a box.... I wonder if it works..... only time will tell when the customer comes back tomorrow or not.

As the customer with 3 Navman S50 problems said, a Navman rep told him they knew about the software issues, but are still choosing to push them out to stores anyway...... really professional..... and I'm a Navman fan over the Tom Tom's.....

Rookie ROX
Post #16

^^^ I wasn't going to say it, but I've had the same experience. I ended up giving the customer the model we had on display because we *knew* it worked.

We've sent no less than 5 back already. All had the same software issue where it wouldn't get past the licencing agreement.

ROCK ON
R~R

s2krazy
Post #17

pfft, I'll say it. Someone wants an honest reply about current GPS units, and when someone else posts up something misleading, I'll correct them.

I now have to arrange Toll Ipec to come pick up a crappy box and send it back.

Since you obviously sell these things too, mind if I ask how your S90i sales are going?

I had 1 guy walk in yesterday and buy my only 2. $1600 sale.

Then today, a bloke walks in, and wants one. I arrange to get one from another store, No problems. Then I go to lunch. Come back 30 mins later and some guy walked in, and also wanted 2 S90i's.... and the staff sent him away!!!!!!!! I was like WTFFFFFFFFFF $1600 sale gone. Fuck if I had of known, I would have gone and got 2 more from another store or 2. Not happy, would of been 25% of our total sales day..... and yes, the guy did come back and pick up the one I agreed to go pick up.

Rookie ROX
Post #18

We aren't carrying the S90 in store, we have the odd enquiry and I'd imagine we'd sell a reasonable amount if we had them. The S80 is dead, no one can justify the extra $200 simply for text-to-speech, especially with the Garmin Nuvi 310 for $579. Stupidest idea ever.

I guess at least you get 2 years warranty with them (rolls)

Having said that, I might get some S90s ordered in and see how they go.

ROCK ON
R~R

s2krazy
Post #19

We don't sell Garmin. Wish we did.

All Garmin enquires I poin to JB Hi-fi or a Wow Sight n Sound across the highway.

I'm surprised we're selling so many. And its not upselling either. Its people just walking in, and going, I want 2 of those. I'm not going to argue with that. $799ea thank you very much. Easiest sale of my life. hahahaha.

I'd try the S90i's. Peopl just seem to want them. Still only sold the 1 S50..... the fucked one.... returned..... and refunded with a replacement...

MR 3KGT
Post #20

QUOTE(s2krazy @ Nov 20 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]1281646928[/snapback]

Worst response EVER.

Let me tell youabout the S50....

Last Thursday I had a customer come in. He's been through 3 Navman S50's. None lasted longer than 3hrs..... All fucked up. 1 with hte menu and it kept resetting. and 2 with other software issues.

Now, fast forward 3 days to Sunday, I walk to my Nav cabinet, to see the S50 we have on display, still new, isn't working - just stuck on the "agree" disagree" screen. I hit agreed. Icon loads maps, Icon loads ST or SD stuff.... then.... nothing.... back to agree / disagree screen. Repeat this 6 times. Come to the conclusion the unit is fucked.

Today I had one returned from a customer. Also fucked. So I called up another store requesting a transfer of one from them to us. Oh low and behold, their demo model was also fucked after non use, and was sent back to Navman too. But they did have one STILL in a box.... I wonder if it works..... only time will tell when the customer comes back tomorrow or not.

As the customer with 3 Navman S50 problems said, a Navman rep told him they knew about the software issues, but are still choosing to push them out to stores anyway...... really professional..... and I'm a Navman fan over the Tom Tom's.....

You must work at Strathfilth......

Navman's are really rubbish. Tom Tom FTW !!

dynosteve
Post #21

we have a couple of garmin's and there pretty good

Kevin
Post #22

i have a navman but know people with tomtom's..personally i like the tomtom

All Torque
Post #23

i got a tomtom its built in to mt HP PDA its great because it was half the price of a navman and its a PDA as well

Drew_Boy
Post #24

Im looking at maybe buying one and you all have just confused the shit out of me on what to get ! ! ! !

UNI4SX
Post #25

dont need to be confused man just get a tom tom lol

Rookie ROX
Post #26

QUOTE(Drew_Boy @ Nov 21 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]1281648978[/snapback]

Im looking at maybe buying one and you all have just confused the shit out of me on what to get ! ! ! !

What's there to be confused about?

Don't buy an S Series Navman. Stick to either TomTom or Garmin, with your choice dependant on your price range.

It's really quite simple.

ROCK ON
R~R

s2krazy
Post #27

QUOTE(MR 3KGT @ Nov 20 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]1281647311[/snapback]

You must work at Strathfilth......

Navman's are really rubbish. Tom Tom FTW !!

Yes, because only Strathfield sell Navmans........ rolleyes.gif IPB Image

Get a clue, then consider buying you'r next vowel. IPB Image IPB Image

fusion88
Post #28

had tom tom on pocketpc with a bluetooth gps reciver worked really well

UNI4SX
Post #29

im gunna get a tom tom i guess went in today to check them out just gotta get rid of the xbox and ps2 thanks 4 all the tips and points the guys there were trying to sell me a navman

Val4me
Post #30

My dad had a navman and had nothing but problems. I also have a Navman but would not recommend it. Afew of my friends and workmates use Tom Tom and Garmin and they both seem a step up from what I have.

im2sus4u
Post #31

tom tom 710 or 910 i run the 910 pretty good

Rookie ROX
Post #32

QUOTE(im2sus4u @ Nov 22 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]1281651765[/snapback]

tom tom 710 or 910 i run the 910 pretty good

Long since discontinued. GO720 is the new model - Bluetooth, text to speech, MP3 player, FM transmitter for musics or calls, yada yada yada. Currently comes with bonus 2008 maps via redemption.

ROCK ON
R~R

TwinCam16
Post #33

Another + vote for the TomTom 720
and a - for the Shitty New s series navman...

I deal with the returns for these units day in and day out, the navmans keep me busy.... if that tells you something...

Ris00
Post #34

how do you go about getting the new updated maps for these navman, tom tom and things? are they expensive?
When i bought maps for my garmin gpsmap60csx it was almost $300!! and i only get the first update free!!

MD0086
Post #35

QUOTE(Rookie ROX @ Nov 22 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]1281653185[/snapback]

Long since discontinued. GO720 is the new model - Bluetooth, text to speech, MP3 player, FM transmitter for musics or calls, yada yada yada. Currently comes with bonus 2008 maps via redemption.

ROCK ON
R~R

thumbsup.gif

Doing some work for TomTom atm and gotta say they make a pretty neat package biggrin.gif

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

Page 1 of 3
Jump to page
THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
15 User(s) are reading this topic (15 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x