Driving A Manual On An Auto License  

riggaz
  • riggaz
  • Subie Love
  • Contributing Member!
  • Member No.: 30,834
Post #1 post 4th May 2007 - 02:31 AM
I have my automatic red P's license... If say I bought a manual car and was pulled over driving it what would the penalty be?

And could I simply book a manual test and go for it in the car im going to buy? or do i have to wait until im on my green P's?

thanks in advance.

--------------------
Rookie ROX
Post #2

Failing to comply with licence conditions -> $179 and 2 points

Hmmm...drive a prohibited vehicle though and that's an instant suspension..

ROCK ON
R~R

THORPE84
Post #3

interesting question, being an auto driver i have thought about this a few times

DAL32
Post #4

Just wait until the RTA has said that you have magically acquired the skills to drive manual, i.e. you have had your license for over one year.

Hmm, better make a note never to buy a manual car in NSW.

Rookie ROX
Post #5

QUOTE(THORPE84 @ May 4 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]1281025575[/snapback]

interesting question, being an auto driver i have thought about this a few times

1 point and $110 in Qld.

ROCK ON
R~R

v8silvia
Post #6

ok my girl drives my car what about if she gets caught she is not allowed to drive turbo and it is turbo

Rookie ROX
Post #7

State?

For NSW it's $385 and 7 points, which will be 3 month suspension for both P1s and P2s.

For QLD, seeing as the laws haven't been brought in, penalities have not yet been confirmed. I'd suspect they'd be similar (4+ points).

Edit: What is her current licence?

ROCK ON
R~R

R31 King
Post #8

hmmm,

SA don't actually have any of these laws

kitkat
Post #9

What about insurance & accidents....

Eg... You have an auto licence and your driving a manual car, you are then rear ended and thus have an accident.

Normally the driver behind is at fault, but would this change because you dont have the appropriate licence? (same as if you had an accident with no licence)

Minksi
Post #10

QUOTE(Rookie ROX @ May 4 2007, 09:13 AM) [snapback]1281025605[/snapback]

1 point and $110 in Qld.

ROCK ON
R~R

I thought it was the smae penalty as driving unlicensed? Or on a suspended licence. Someone said this to me once and considering you are not technically licensed to drive a manual vehicle it sounded pretty legit to me.
I would be keen to hear what the penalty would be for a auto driver on their opens in QLD? As I always thought it was as above.
To me 1 point and $100 doesnt seem like much to deter at all.

oakmont
Post #11

i got $250 and no points for driving manual in auto license. i had to leave my car where is was right in the middle of surfers. wasnt even allowed to get it parked properly.

i actually own that manual car and has been driving like that for a year. just didnt get my manuals due to procastination.

booked in test a week later and im all legal now lol

Dark_Magician
Post #12

QUOTE(kitkat @ May 4 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]1281025756[/snapback]

Eg... You have an auto licence and your driving a manual car, you are then rear ended and thus have an accident.

Normally the driver behind is at fault, but would this change because you dont have the appropriate licence? (same as if you had an accident with no licence)

last time i know its like that u'll be treated as drivin w/o license

DAL32
Post #13

QUOTE(kitkat @ May 4 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]1281025756[/snapback]

You'd probably want to keep that one hush-hush with the insurance companies if you still wanted to get money out of the offending driver ohnoes.gif
You wouldn't be able to claim through your insurance even if the offender was completely at fault, because the offenders insurance company wouldn't pay out a claim to an unlicensed driver. If you did claim, it would go to court, the offenders insurance would bring in that you weren't licensed so the accident wouldn't have happened but for you being on the road = they are not liable. You wouldn't be held liable for the incident, but you would cop the fine for driving with inappropriate license. The offender would still pay his excess etc.

Correct me if I am wrong!

fullysicman
Post #14

Sorry folks but the fine for driving a manual with an auto licence in Qld is $75 and 1 point. "Fail to comply with condition of licence" The auto only is a condition of the licence. Many years ago it used be straight unlicenced but the law changed in 2000 with the Transport Operations (Road Use Managment Act Drivers Licencing)-Regulations.

However if you say you are learning to drive than that is worse as you are allowed to learn to drive a manual if you have a auto licence without the need to get a L/Permit. But of course then you need an open licence holder with you and L/plates on.

i got $250 and no points for driving manual in auto license. i had to leave my car where is was right in the middle of surfers. wasnt even allowed to get it parked properly.

Sorry Oakmont but if you paid that ticket then they stiffed you as that is not the correct offence. What you got was Driver holds licence but not for class of vehicle $250 Thing is you held a Class C but the condition was it had to be an auto. A lot of coppers write this $250 one but they are wrong.

dvs_24
Post #15

yeh i have always wounderd how do u go about learning to drive man, are u allowed to drive it on ur auto but make sure u have a open man lic driver with you. or not. i can drive man but always have thought about that

Patch
Post #16

yeh i drive manual sometimes if i have to and i only have my auto license. would insurance be void?

ndavey
Post #17

QUOTE(riggaz @ May 4 2007, 02:31 AM) [snapback]1281025305[/snapback]

I have my automatic red P's license... If say I bought a manual car and was pulled over driving it what would the penalty be?

And could I simply book a manual test and go for it in the car im going to buy? or do i have to wait until im on my green P's?

thanks in advance.

I've looked into this a little wrt QLD, and this is what is states on the Transport Department website:

What if my open licence is only for an automatic vehicle?
If you hold an open licence for an automatic vehicle, you can learn to drive or ride a vehicle with manual transmission.

The rules applying to learner drivers will apply to you when you are behind the wheel of a manual vehicle:

* You will need to be accompanied by somebody who has held an open licence for at least one year for that class of vehicle
* You will need to display L plates.

There is more information in the learning to drive section.

fent
Post #18

after u have ur p's for a year can u just ask to be changed over? lol

Rookie ROX
Post #19

QUOTE(fent @ May 4 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1281027729[/snapback]

after u have ur p's for a year can u just ask to be changed over? lol

In NSW you only have to drive an Auto if you were tested in an Auto for your P1 stage (12 months), following that it's wide open.

In QLD if you tested in an Auto, you must only drive an Auto. If you want to drive a manual, you have to do the test again (and in the meantime wear L plates and follow the Learner conditions).

ROCK ON
R~R

Dark_Magician
Post #20

QUOTE(Rookie ROX @ May 4 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]1281027841[/snapback]

In NSW you only have to drive an Auto if you were tested in an Auto for your P1 stage (12 months), following that it's wide open.

In QLD if you tested in an Auto, you must only drive an Auto. If you want to drive a manual, you have to do the test again (and in the meantime wear L plates and follow the Learner conditions).

ROCK ON
R~R

qld sucks, why couldnt they hav same rules as the other states sif everyone will drive manual wen all they know is auto wink.gif

Rookie ROX
Post #21

QUOTE(Dark_Magician @ May 5 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]1281029139[/snapback]

qld sucks, why couldnt they hav same rules as the other states sif everyone will drive manual wen all they know is auto wink.gif

You're welcome to leave, nothing is stopping you.

Although something about having penalties three times as harsh may deter your decision

rolleyes.gif

ROCK ON
R~R

Zillar Man
Post #22

i wrote my pulsar off last week , im in qld and have my autos yet drive several Manuals, pulsar being a manual, wrote it off and they didnt even look into it , got my cheque and away i go.

guess its luck too

Rookie ROX
Post #23

Or stupidity - either way dunno.gif head_wall.gif

So anyone want to refer this thread to the insurance company? They'll be happy to demand their cheque back thumbsup.gif

ROCK ON
R~R

Zillar Man
Post #24

yer you do that

rock off

THORPE84
Post #25

in victoria you have to drive auto on your p's for 3 years then you get your manual license

is this true or is it 1 year?

DAL32
Post #26

Why would they do that? You go for a manual license, you drive the manual car. It's also pretty pussy if you're a guy and you only have an auto license IPB Image

And before anyone cries about "oh but there was no manual cars in the household" - there was nothing stopping you from getting a few driving lessons in manual.

fent
Post #27

haha the instructors wife crashed his manual car the day i was going for my licence.... and i didnt wanna wait another 3 months to re-book....valid?

blitz'n dc2R
Post #28

better not overall

DAL32
Post #29

QUOTE(fent @ May 5 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]1281029662[/snapback]

haha the instructors wife crashed his manual car the day i was going for my licence.... and i didnt wanna wait another 3 months to re-book....valid?

Damn, bad luck to you tongue.gif

My usual instructor had to go overseas a week before my test, so they got me another instructor with the same kind of car. I just went for a 2 hour lesson before my test to get used to the car.

hydie
Post #30

QUOTE(Dark_Magician @ May 5 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]1281029139[/snapback]

QUOTE(Rookie ROX @ May 5 2007, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1281029142[/snapback]

You're welcome to leave, nothing is stopping you.

Although something about having penalties three times as harsh may deter your decision

rolleyes.gif

ROCK ON
R~R

Spot on Rookie.

The automotive laws in QLD are so much better than the ones in NSW.

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x